St. Francis Catholic Grade School was opened in 1909 in a two-story, eight classroom building. The present building was built in 1952 with the gymnasium portion being added shortly thereafter.
In May of 1963, the parish was divided and St. Andrew parish opened. St. Andrew’s opened its own grade school in 1965 with first and second grades. Each year thereafter an additional grade was added, starting with third grade. Unfortunately, the school operated for only four years. Since that time, St. Francis has been the only Catholic grade school serving the Brainerd Lakes area.
St. Francis originally included grades 1-8. In 1970, the seventh and eighth grades were dropped. Later, a kindergarten program was initiated. Seventh grade was added again in 1986 so that students were able to go on to Franklin Junior High. Eighth grade was added in 2003.